We went to the beach today with my college roommate, Kristi, and her daughter and son, both two years older than mine. It was an awesome but sad trip, because Kristi is moving to the Bay Area in a few days and even though we lived minutes apart, we rarely got together. Now, boohoo, we will be hours apart, but hopefully we will see each other a lot still. We've been making up for lost time with dinner yesterday and our beach trip this morning.
Isla and Katie had a wonderful time and Katie helped Isla overcome her fear of the wet sand. They collected shells and made sand castles and gave each other a big dramatic hug at the end of our morning. Isaac watched from the sand and chewed on a shovel, and Dean actively avoided touching the sand. Despite the craziness (and the fat brown widow that had moved into our sand bucket sometime in the past week), Kristi and I actually got to visit and it was one of the most successful beach trips with kids that I have ever had.
After a sandy trip to Costco I popped Isla in the shower before her lunch and QRT (Quiet Resting Time). She had a blob of what I thought was sand stuck in the cuticle area of her big toenail. I tried to brush it off, but realized it was a big bruise, with blood under the toenail. She hardly flinched, my little tough cookie!
I asked her what had happened and this is what she told me, "A rainbow stepped on my toe!" (this was positively thrilling to her!) "...and LOOK! My toe is PURPLE and GREEN! Those are RAINBOW colors! The Rainbow left them on my toe."
I asked when it happened and if it had happened at our place, Kristi's or Gretchen's. She replied, "Well, I can't tell you how it happened, but I CAN tell you it happened here! I was playing with my friends, Mr. Sun and Mr. Moon and then a RAINBOW stepped on my toe!!!"
I can't get any more details out of her, but I'm amazed she didn't cry about it, whenever and however it happened, and I'm glad she is so please with the whole thing. I wonder what she'll think when her nail falls off, because it looks like we are headed in that direction.


3 comments:
HAHAHAHA, oh, I love hearing the things that she says :) I wonder if you'll ever hear the rest of the story or piece it together (or maybe as an adult she'll be able to remember and share what really happened?) In the meantime, that's certainly the most excited I've ever heard anyone be over smashing their toe badly enough for the nail to possibly fall off ;)
How lucky for Isla to have a rainbow step on her toe! Hoping the toe nail gets to stay on!
Oh my gosh Ali! Isla's story about her toe is so totally Isla it squeeks! She's such a fountain of imagination! Sounds like she could write a children's book if you asked her to elaborate!
Post a Comment