The blog is having a blah-g moment. We've been very busy with the holidays and family functions, and I don't think I've down loaded photos since November. Despite all that, at this point my lack of posts are more about Friday's tragedy than anything else.
I'm vacillating between horrified nausea, completely heart broken sadness and white hot rage that anyone could do such a monstrous act. Everything about the holiday reminds me of what the families and peers, and the dear victims have lost. While I haven't lost any faith in God, I do feel like I'm losing faith in mankind.
...but then today I danced to Christmas music in the front room with my babies. With silent tears in my eyes I watched Isla careen around the room, barely missing her brother and the corner of the end table, completely immersed in the music and movement. I sat and watched until Isaac ran over, wrapped his arms around me and looked up at me with his wide blue eyes and laughing dimples. I know there is more good than bad in our world. I know the children and teachers who lost their lives on Friday are infinitely more than their final moments on earth. I pray that the lives lost at Newtown will lead to a change in the way we treat each other, and a change in the way we protect ourselves and each other. Any change that comes from this will come at much too high of a cost, but I am still praying for something good.
I've had this song / poem running through the back of my mind all weekend. Fittingly, this is also the song Isla chose for her booty shaking, jazz hands waving, hair flying, wild leaping dance solo this afternoon.
I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.
I thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.
And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men."
Till, ringing singing, on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
Of peace on earth, good will to men!


No comments:
Post a Comment