...is not going to happen this year.
BUT, apple, pear, fig, plum, key lime and persimmon picking IS going to happen in our own back yard!
Right now we have apples and pears falling off the tree.
It is SO exciting to have such an amazing bounty right here!
On Friday I made a key lime pie...it was a little ambitious because there were literally two ripe key limes on the tree and one was deep in the thorny recesses of the tree and involved a little pruning to access. To compensate I stole a lime from our neighbors tree (it was hanging on the property line) and added some key lime zest from an unripe key lime. It turned out fine, but in 3-4 weeks I should be able to make one without pruning or thievery.
Home ownership hasn't been 100% easy. During the initial inspection we found out the house has aluminum wiring and some very outdated / dangerous electrical panels, so since the day before we moved in we've had electricians working on the house Monday - Friday. We are all on a first name basis by now. It is impossible to get things done as quickly as we like with the power off and on all the time. Our fridge is currently keeping things a cool 60 degrees and the shower backed up tonight. This is all kind of expected with a 43 year old home purchased from the original owners, but it also is frustrating.
Thankfully my parents have been putting in a TON of work. They have been helping us non-stop - watching the kids, moving, unpacking, organizing, etc. etc. etc. During his last visit my dad mapped out and repaired our entire sprinkler system and took out a lovely but unsafe pond.
Our yard is kind of amazing (and when I find the time I'll take some pictures and post them). With the sprinkler system repaired everything is coming back to life. The previous owners were amazing gardeners. The front yard doesn't really reflect this (I call it Vallejo style because it reminds me of the low water rock and evergreen shrub style of Vallejo yards in my youth.), but the back yard is amazing. It has a bunch of fruit trees, including fig trees that are trained over the wall. There is a beautiful bed of roses and bed of other plants. At this point everything is overgrown and disorganized, but it has loads of potential!


2 comments:
We keep finding fruit trees and plants in the house we rented, and it's the BEST SURPRISE EVER! I bet you must have thought you hit the jackpot to get a house with so many mature fruit trees already growing! The electrical part is a bummer, but I bet it'll be wonderful once it's done and everything is new and you can focus on baking and fun stuff :) Can't wait to see eventual pictures!
I'm so excited for you guys and can't wait till I see and hear more about adventures in your new home!
Post a Comment