Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Catching Up!

Ike continues to keep us on our toes! 
We had the flu (or something pretty much identical) hit our house last Monday.  Isla woke up at 4am because her back was hot...it was 103.1 like the rest of her.  She was also coughing, but I assumed it was a sinus infection, since that is pretty much a constant around here.
The next day she got sicker and by 5pm Wednesday her fever was 105.1.  I took her to urgent care where it became pretty obvious that she had the flu - high fever, body aches (which she told me she had on Monday night too, but way after the fact, so I missed one of the big signs), chest congestion, sneezing, shaking and cold sweats, tummy ache, coughing and chest pain.  The Dr. sent us home with a diagnosis of flu instructions to start her sick plan for asthma (albuterol and oral steroids) because she was having some breathing issues.  Isla basically lazed around the house for a week and was fever free by Monday morning.

On Thursday Ike had a low fever (100.8) and the next morning I rushed him in to the Dr., hoping to get Tamiflu.  He tested negative to the flu, so no go, but he was wheezing severely, so he got a breathing treatment and we started his sick plan (same as Isla).  The next day his wheezing was worse and not responding to albuterol so we went to urgent care.  The on-call nurse told us to go to the ER, but our ER co-pay is outrageous and Ike seemed to be a little better.  The one bright moment was that he was fast tracked in front of everyone in the waiting room, so it wasn't too long of a visit.  He got another breathing treatment and started oral steroids.  The next day things were the same - not responding to medication, and I had an epiphany and realized we could call the on-call allergist.  We did and she gave us a plan to get through the night (3 times the albuterol dose we were using, and then repeat if needed, and repeat a third time if needed while going to the ER.)  Ike did much better with the high dose, but by the morning he was still wheezing.  We went into the allergist (allergists are also asthma specialists) and his oxygen was a little low.  He had another breathing treatment, but was still wheezing, so we got a nebulizer on loan and a prescription for one too.  Today is Tuesday and he is still wheezing and threw up everywhere right after his oral steroid, but seems a little better and has been fever free since yesterday evening.  We are going in for a check up tomorrow.   The added bonus is that Isaac has been waking up 5 times each night.

I'm super super super exhausted and trying to stay healthy, which means I'm going to bed now instead of writing all the posts I want to add.  Hopefully I'll write them soon!

On a side note, we did have a ton of fun before being struck down.  We've been having Friday night dinner with Dan & Barbara and the cousins for the past few weeks and that has been really special.  Last Sunday Isla had her first day of Sunday school and learned the Sign of the Cross (she already new it, but after Sunday school she's been teaching other people it!) and about how plants and animals grow.  She had a blast!
After church we rushed home and had an early St. Patrick's Day party with some friends.  The kids had so much fun, and remarkably all our friends are healthy!  On Friday I snuck out and went to Stations of the Cross with my friend Amanda and then had a mom play date (dessert and coffee).  I'm so glad I got out because otherwise my entire week would have been driving in circles between urgent care, the doctor and the pharmacist. 

Isla went to dance yesterday and we got to sit in.  It was so fun to see her dancing.  She has a blast and is a beautiful little dancer!  She ran over and asked for a "teddybear treatment" midway through class.  This is the 1st time she has asked for one independently.  I'm very proud of her.  She went back to school today and is sort of cranky, but generally doing really well.  Today we made some Easter decorations.  We are still trying to get adjusted to the new schedule ("the devil's time," as I heard it called by a fellow day light savings time hater.)  Somehow it means we are even later than we were on the old time.


1 comment:

Kenner said...

Oh MAN, what a year this just continues to be for you guys! I hope everyone continues to feel better (and that you manage to stay healthy!)