Since then it feels like I've spent 90% of my free time on the internet and reading books about allergies. Isla's doctor referred us to some very good parent support groups and that has been very helpful too. I've also had the wonderful support of Gretchen's friend, Jenn, who has a daughter with severe food allergies.
To Do List:
- Get epipens - Done
- Get epipen Case - Done
- Join Parent Support Groups - Done
- Get Medic Alert Bracelet - Done
- Prepare Emergency Travel Kit - Done
- Re-organize kitchen to isolate all unsafe food to one area - Done
- Buy overpriced Top-8 free Halloween Candy - Done
- Handle our first big social event - Done (Grandma A's wedding! Congrats!)
- Label all unsafe food - Done, except freezer (I LOVE my label maker!)
- Read "Food Allergies for Dummies" - 1/2 way Done
- Learn to make my own (non-soy or peanut contaminated) Sunbutter - 1/2 way Done
- Update Medical Passport - To Do!
- Create Action Plan - To Do!
- Create Emergency Station - To Do!
- Call Airline for holidays to notify them that we will be bringing an epipen and a peanut allergy on board. - To Do!
- Schedule flu shot at allergist - To Do!
- Learn how to manage my stress, conquer the insomnia that started the night after our appointment, and stop having food allergy related nightmares. - To Do! (although it is getting easier every day! I'm getting more sleep and doing less teeth grinding every night.)
Family and friends, I'm sorry if this is all I can talk about right now - it is all I can think about right now...my brain is totally on a boring, boring, stressful loop! ...but I really think things will be back on track soon!


4 comments:
One of my best childhood friends has a son with some pretty severe food allergies. She's been able to work with some really incredible hospital staff and is a real wealth of information about all kinds of allergy stuff that totally goes over my head. Email me if you'd like me to put you in touch with her! (I linked to her family blog on the same post that I linked to yours, if you want to just go check her out there, also . . . )
You are an AMAZING mommy, Ali. Sweet Isla is so lucky to have a mommy that will stress so much over her well-being. You are so strong and determined. Isla is and will thrive and be healthy because of all of your hard work and care. Again, you are AMAZING!!!
Ali,
Don't worry! You are the sweetest, and Isla is totally worth all the stress!
I think you are a rockstar supermamma for working so hard to make sure that your precious girl will be safe and well prepared for. I am amazed and impressed and would love to ask you how to make your own sunbutter, since that is all I eat these days and it concerns me that the organic brand I get is produced in a facility that also processes soy (my biggest allergy too). I've also been thinking about making my own pumpkin seed butter... how does one make their own seed butter? Food processeor?
Sending much love to your whole family!
A
Post a Comment