This peaceful baby is brought to you by Ferber! We started sleep training with Isaac on Friday. I was a little nervous about letting him cry with his heart & gut issues, but our pediatrician said it was fine to start as long as we were comfortable with it. I feel like I know his crying enough to differentiate protest from pain and he had "bed time creep" for the past two weeks and wasn't falling asleep until 12am or later, so we decided to Ferberize.
The first night was hard, but with some support from friends on facebook and a mojito, we got through the it with crying for only an hour. I only almost cried once.
The next night I made the mistake of letting him fall asleep in my arms and transfered him without waking. That was fine, but it put us back to square one on night 3. Still, he was able to fall asleep in 31 minutes.
An additional set back occurred when the boombox I got him broke and no longer played his Disney lullabies. That one is on its way back to Amazon and a new one is on the way here.
Last night he fell asleep after 5 minutes, but woke up later when Isla was singing at the top of her lungs. Tonight it took 25 minutes.
It isn't quite as smooth sailing as it was with Isla. His nap schedule is still erratic and he does sometimes seem to have some genuine issues with pain, but overall, I'm thrilled and very proud of him and his new self soothing skills.


No comments:
Post a Comment