Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Another Ike Report

We have had a very busy, mostly wonderful week!
Isla turned 3 & Isaac is 4 months old! Happy Birthdays Babies! I have big posts to write about our trip to Disneyland, the party and all the milestones my little ones are meeting.

First, here is an update on Isaac.

On Monday Isaac had an MRI under general anesthesia. He was intubated and a contrast was introduced into his GI tract to determine if the malrotation suspected in January is actually present. I was really worried about his heart and not thrilled when what was supposed to be a 60 minute procedure became a 90 minute procedure. The anesthesiologist made it clear that he did not like that they were introducing the contrast while he was under anesthesia. I tried to play it cool, but in retrospect, I wish I had asked Andrew to take the morning off and come with me.

My mom, dad and aunt took care of Isla, which was a huge stress relief.

Isaac was a star! Just like Isla, he was very disoriented and emotional after waking up and he also had a hard time coordinating nursing, but other than that he was completely fine and had no heart issues.

Yesterday I got a call from his GI doc. She told me that he does have evidence malrotation and made a referral to pediatric surgery.

As soon as I heard her message I knew something was up - she called the day after the procedure, when I had been told that we wouldn't hear for 2-5 days and she mentioned, "planning what to do next." The first thing I thought was, "I never should have made the MRI appointment for 2-13." I'm not a very superstitious person and while I do occsionally have superstitious thoughts, I can laugh them off and not take the seriously, but it is a bit ironic that they discovered this 5 months after he was diagnosed with SVT (9-13-11).

I don't know anything else yet, except what I've read on the internet (lots of course). There are varying levels of malrotation and I don't know how Isaac is affected, but, given the referral, it does sound like he will need surgery to correct it and prevent the possibility of a life threatening emergency called volvulus, where the bowel twists on itself. In children with malroation this is especially dangerous because blood supply to the entire bowel can be cut off.

Here are a few interesting things I've read:
- Symptoms of malrotation can present similar to those of milk protein intolerance (maybe I can go back on a regular diet after all this!)
- Malrotation often occurs with associated conditions, including cardiac defects!

Here's more info: Intestinal Malrotation

In other news his GI Dr. wants me to try cutting eggs too.
In other news, I registered Isla for next year's preschool and she and her BFF Charlotte both got the spots we wanted! Yey!!!

2 comments:

Kenner said...

*Big Hugs* Well, it sounds like your Isaac and my (Nathan) Isaac can be surgery buddies this year! I'm so sorry you all are having to deal with another health issue :( But hopefully all will go well and you can eat anything you want again! (I'm going to recommend LOTS of cheese and chocolate! You deserve some yummy treats!) :)

AggeJ said...

My Dear Ali,
What you have had to go through with your two little ones. I went to the website to read more on the malrotation issue. I was so lucky with the three boys I never had to deal with anything more than tubes in the ears. We don't think about how complicated the human body is but I know that with all the love and good medical attention that our little Isaac will be fine. You and Carolyn can stick together through this it sounds like she is dealing with the same thing. It will be good to have a good friend to go through an issue like this with. Someone who will really understand. I will always keep you and your little family in my heart and prayers.
Love MaMa A