During the primaries we all went down the block to vote. Andrew and I struggled to explain the election process to Isla. During this process Andrew had our family vote on favorite ice cream flavor - chocolate or vanilla. Isla & Andrew voted for Chocolate.
Today we walked to our new polling place and Isla was asking me about the election.
"Do I get to vote?"
"No, but you can come with me."
"What are you voting for?"
"President and other leaders in our country and state."
"You mean no one is voting for ice cream?"
Amazing memory! (We'll be celebrating with Chocolate ice cream tomorrow night!)
Once we arrived at the polls Isla came with me to the booth.
"What are you doing?"
"Voting...see, I circle in the oval next to the person I'm voting for."
"DOES THAT SAY PRESIDENT OBAMA?"
"Shhhhh. We aren't allowed to say any of the names while we are in here."
"Why not?"
"Because everyone needs to vote for who they think is right for our country without feeling any pressure from other people. If we talk about any of the candidates it might be hard for people to make their own choice."
".... Why is that thing made out of boxes?" (thing = voting station)
We both got stickers. The lady offered them to us and then said, "Or you can have one of these in another language if you want." (Our staunchly conservative neighborhood did not seem have many takers for the non-English stickers.) Isla went for "I voted" but I embraced my (new) heritage and my sticker says, "Yo Vote."
Yey America!


No comments:
Post a Comment