Let's make 2012 the year of anesthesia / surgery and then call it a day!
Ike's results came back from his biopsies from two weeks ago. His GI was looking for a few things - a type of allergic disease called Eosinophillic Gastrointestinal Disease, Celiac, and other inflammatory bowel disorders. We are thrilled that everything came back normal, with the exception of some mild inflammation.
The endoscopy covered part of the large intestine, the stomach and esophagus. He has a little more testing to see if the small intestine isn't behaving, but over all this is fantastic news.
His weight has dropped in the past month (20lb 5 oz.), but considering that he has had 2 ear infections, a sinus infection, and the mystery virus from hell, it is not quite as concerning. He is now able to eat anything, except lactose and he will continue on Elecare Jr. (for babies over 1 with vanilla flavor he hates) for the time being. He is eating more like an 8 month old than a 13 month old, so Elecare will continue to be his primary source of nutrition and we are working with a nutritionist to expand his diet.
Ike had surgery this morning and had PE tubes put in and adenoids removed. He was so suspicious when we went in today. I could tell he was not pleased with the morning activity and he gave everyone the stink eye (except the anesthesiologist, of course! They were BFFs!)
It was the same surgery Isla had, but slightly more involved because he has an ear infection right now. It was pretty gross...lots of oozing! His adenoids were not as enlarged as Isla's but they were really really infected, so she took them out too. I'm SO happy to have this behind us! It was game changing for Isla and I think Isaac will be so much happier and healthier without the constant infections.
Apparently we had one of the best anesthesiologists in the hospital, which is always reassuring. Isaac had wheezing towards the end of the procedure and afterward, so recovery took a little longer, but he is doing very well now. (I got time to read Plan B, by Anne Lamott. If you are liberal, or don't mind reading a book by someone who had a hard time dealing with the Bush administration, this book is AMAZING! She has some beautiful insights about parenting, faith and love.)
We got home by 1 and Ike is doing pretty well. The Tylenol with codeine helping too. (It is pretty funny. He was miserable and then after about 20 minutes he got super silly.)
I'm interested to see if his language picks up now. He was basically hearing things through water, so it should help. He has been "talking" a lot today.
I'm trying to post what I'm thankful for every day in November on Face book. Today I am so thankful for all the specialists and staff at our local Children's hospital. We are so blessed to have expert care.


3 comments:
Oh my! What a year it has been, and what a day for Ike! Glad surgery went well, and wishing Ike a speedy recovery
Oh man, hopefully you can get all the surgeries done now and have a few years without anymore! So glad the results were good! (And I haven't read Plan B, but I adore Anne Lamott in general, so I should probably try that one sometime!) :)
Wow you guys! SOooo glad Ike proved to be trouble free in the areas that were suspected! And hopefully this surgery will be the last time he see's the hospital in a good long time! Your adventure to the polls sounded so sweet with Isla's curiosity about everything! I'm anxious to finish what I'm reading to start Plan B! Sounds like I'd like it.Love&Later,V.Moon
Post a Comment