I spent last night in denial...I wasn't sure it was even going to happen today, but when we arrived at our appointment this morning I had to face reality...Isla was due for her first shot.
I had no idea how emotional it would be for me. I think my career background compounded things, but mostly it was just voluntarily putting her in pain. The nurse was super sweet and had me get down right next to her and cuddle her while she gave the injection. I was happy to be right there to comfort her, but it was terrible being three inches from her face when she suddenly looked scared and surprised and then burst out crying. She cried for about 15 minutes (huge crocodile tears!) and I cried for about 5 minutes (apparently lots of Mommys cry during vaccines.)Other than that, the appointment went well. Isla weighs 10 lbs 4 oz. and is in the 75% for height and weight. She is healthy and happy! The pedi did say that she has GERD, so we are going to continue to keep her up after feeding for 20 minutes and she is going to take special baby antacid to reduce spit up. The other thing our Dr. noticed its that she holds her head to the right side - a condition called torticollis. It is very mild, and can be corrected with exercises, so in addition to tummy time, we now have special neck exercises to do 4 times a day. I am now Mommy and personal trainer! The most exciting news is that because she is growing so well, we are now allowed to let her sleep through the night! I'm so excited!
After the appointment we went to the pharmacy to order her antacid and then went to Target, Babies R Us and Barnes & Noble (where Mommy read a magazine).


1 comment:
Sweetie - I remember when Andrew had his first shot I cried to. By the time Dan and Michael came along it did get easier. You are such a wonderful Mom I'm so glad that you care so much and that you are so knowlegable about the GERD and that you spend so much time with her. I think when I look back on it Andrew had GERD but back then we didn't know what it was. We just called it collic. Hugs and kisses MaMa A
Post a Comment