Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, November 16, 2009

Isla's First Graduation

We had our last day of Yoga today. I am going to miss the class so much!
We've been taking Mommy & Me yoga since Isla was 3 months old and I can say with conviction that this class has been the most beneficial thing I've done to get back in shape - physically and mentally.
Just an example of how my frame of mind has changed - during the first few classes I had to fight back tears  during the warm up and cool down part of class. Just lying still and relaxing seemed overwhelming. I remember feeling huge and weak and clumsy during my first class, but now I feel strong and coordinated (Losing 60 lbs also helps!). Instead of wanting to collapse after class I wish the class would last another hour. Our amazing instructor, Erin, tailors all of the instruction to new mommy's - helping with things like weak tummies and poor posture. In addition, she happily holds babies during instruction to ensure as much yoga time as possible for the mommies. Erin also used to dance, so she does a great job helping me overcome my incessant need to turn out.

Isla has LOVED yoga from the very start. When she was the youngest in the class she liked watching the 'big kids' and then later joining them in play. Now that she's the 'big kid' she tries to get involved in the yoga and steal water bottles and pacis from unsuspecting mommies and babies. I've made some nice friends in the class and Erin and Isla have a very special bond. She lights up for Erin even when she's in an 'Oscar the Grouch' mood.

On a good note, Erin said we can try to do the next class, starting in February. Isla will be 1 by then and probably even more active than she is now, so I'm not sure if it will work. I'm also trying to find a yoga class I can take in the evening or on the weekends. Yoga is the first exercise I've done since dancing that I actually completely love! (I don't even mind sweating!)

1 comment:

AggeJ said...

So I'm not the only cyber stalker.
It sounds like you and Andrew are having so much fun with her. She is so lucky to have such great parents. If I could turn back time I would try to be a supermom just like you. Keep up the good work. Love MaMa A