Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, July 30, 2010

Sweater Karma

As most of my readers (i.e. family and friends) know, Andrew and I are in a perpetual state of frugality right now. While we occasionally splurg on a meal or activity, for the most part we are trying to make my SAHM status (with a little working at home) work.
We someday dream of buying a home too, so that is also a motivator for thriftiness.

Well I had a total money breakdown a few months ago. My friend Emelia brought over all her wedding paraphernalia, including a darling sweater she was planning to return. Having not purchased any clothing from anywhere but Old Navy and the GAP for the past year, I was head over heals in love with this delicate feminine sweater.
I offered to buy it from her rather than have her return it and 80$ later I was the proud (and a little guilt-ridden) owner of this lovely sweater. I worked a few extra hours at work to justify it to myself...

Now the sweater was lovely, but it's presence made the rest of my previously fashionable wardrobe seem out of style. Shoes were the biggest problem... after trying every shoe I own, I concluded that I needed new shoes - not just any new shoes, expensive stylish lovely 90$ shoes. Now the guilt had become a sinking pit in my stomach, but I finally had the makings of an outfit that felt stylish. ...but oh, the guilt!
But, I have baby showers and weddings and my anniversary and I justified it all be planning to wear the sweater to at least 8 events this summer.

I wore my new sweater to see HAIR on Broadway, to my niece's baptism and to Emelia's wedding, where I draped it over my chair and it disappeared.
I called the wedding site, Emelia spoke to all her relatives who helped pack up after the wedding, and I've searched high and low. The sweater is gone! ...and I don't even have a picture!
I am so sad - and feeling shallow for feeling so sad about a sweater - but oh, I miss my sweater! Maybe this is karma for blowing 80$ on a sweater...

PS - I had a green sweater - the perfect green j.crew sweater - I call my "park picnic sweater." because I wore it on a wonderful picnic to the park with Andrew a month before we got engaged. Shortly after that picnic the sweater moved on. I've never really gotten over the disappearance of my park picnic sweater. At least now I know the park picnic sweater has a companion on his travels through the land of missing clothing.

4 comments:

Emi said...

I feel terrible Ali. I am keeping my fingers crossed,m hoping that it turns up!

Ali said...

Don't feel bad Emelia!!! Please please please do not feel bad. There is not way it is your fault in any conceivable way!

AggeJ said...

Sweetie,
I feel bad about your sweater and I do hope that you might get it back. But don't ever feel guilty about spending a little money on yourself. We need to do that once in awhile. You give so much time and energy to your wonderful family that you need to do something special for yourself. I think that Andrew would agree with me.
Love,
MaMa A

Naomi said...

Argh! I totally feel your sweater loss. I too have lost several beloved sweaters and it really hurts--I can remember them all, even ones I lost in high school. I am sure some fabulous shoes and maybe even another sweater will come into your life soon...