I am continually floored by typical child development. We went to a baby shower at work on Friday and all my co-workers without kids were marveling over Isla's skills. I think coming from my work background makes me notice, appreciate and marvel over every milestone.
I recently read about Isla's little friend Ethan counting and saying the alphabet. I thought, there is no way Isla could do that. We only count for negative things (like "I'm going to count to ten and then we are all done with beach.") and I've sung the alphabet song about 3 times.
Then low and behold, the next day I handed Isla a second cookie and she help up both cookies and said, "Isla two cookies!" Whoa! Since then she always points out when there are two of things. She also fills in numbers some of the time when we count.
Later on the same day we started checked out Dr. Suess' ABCs. I read it to Isla and the second to last page is the alphabet. I read "...WXY and..." and Isla said, "Z!" I was shocked. We went over the alphabet and she could fill the letter whenever I stopped. I couldn't beleive it. The coolest part is that I just spent the past few months working on curriculum for number skills, including 1:1 correspondence and counting, and letter skills, including intra-verbal alphabet skills. It is so crazy to think that she learned these through exposure instead of systematic teaching.


3 comments:
Our littles ones are amazing, aren't they? Just like you, I'm floored by how much they learn by exposure, I don't think we'll take any skill for granted!
Ali I enjoy so much reading about what our little Isla is up to. It's a great way to keep up with all the little things my granddaughter is doing. Today we had a student come in to register for a class and I had a picture of Isla that I borrowed for your blog (the one with the cute bridal Vail that you made her) I saved it to my desktop. The student commented on how cute the picture was and I told her about all the amazing things that Isla does. She said I made her day with the story of such a talented little girl at such a young age.
MaMa A
Awww! That is so sweet MamaA!
Actually my friend Emi made her the veil - somehow she found the time two days before her wedding.
Post a Comment