Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, August 9, 2010

Dum Da Da Da Daaaaa Dum

Isla is a graduate of the Parent / Child Swim lessons at our community pool.
We took a 6 session class for two weeks and Isla had a blast until our last class when she got obsessed with the pool steps and cried whenever Andrew moved her away from the steps. (The class was in the evening so Andrew got to take her to two of the classes.) I started swim lessons when I was younger than Isla and Andrew fell in a pool at Isla's age and was rescued by a four year old, so swimming lessons and pool safety are big priorities for both of us. Andrew expressed that he just hoped she would be able to swim to the edge of the pool if she fell in after our six classes. Being the sassy child educator and loving wife that I am, I laughed in his face. We will not have a child who could swim to the edge of the pool if she fell in after 6 lessons for a few years - IMnotsoHO, I think those pool-proof y our child swim classes are a scam, and even worse, a liability. Poor / lucky Isla will be watched like a hawk around water for many many many many years.That being said, Isla learned a lot more than I ever expected...so Andrew, I'm sorry for laughing!
She learned to be comfortable with a teacher moving her in the water, learned to blow bubbles, dunk under the rope, jump of the side, crawl along the side to get to the shallow end, kick her legs when held and on a floater, chase and pick up toys in the water, play water games, climb out of the side, and make goo-goo eyes at the handsome "li gaurd," among other things. Of course she isn't doing all of these things without help, but she is now ready for the pre-grunion swim class next summer.Charlotte took the class with us and the girls had fun riding around on the big whale shaped kick board together.

By the way, the post title is "Pomp and Circumstance" - does anyone remember the awesome Mac computer program that would sing any text you wrote to the tune of "Pomp and Circumstance"? "Freeeeeed has..."

3 comments:

Marisela said...

How fun!!!

Krikri said...

BAAAH ha ha ha here I am reading happily along, remembering my own swim classes at Shapiro Pool back in the olden times... I was NOT expecting that Pomp and Circumstance reference at the end there! HA haha!

Ali said...

It was there just for you and Katy H.