Isla is going to be in a study conducted by Johns Hopkins School of Public Health. The study is to learn more about people who have allergic reactions to vaccines. She has to give a blood and saliva sample. The most exciting part of the study is that they may be able to advise us on whether she can safely have a flu vaccine this year.I just finished filling out all the paperwork. It is really interesting looking at all the consent forms from a participant perspective. It reminds me of the tedium of writing forms for my graduate research project. As with most studies involving child participants, I have to explain to Isla what the study is about and what her participation involves in language she understands. I've decided to tell her that she is getting a blood test & I am rubbing a q-tip on her cheek so we can try to find out if it is safe for her to take some medicine that will keep her from getting sick or making other people sick. I think she will get that on some level.
I really hope we get some info! If possible, I'd like to have her vaccinated since we will have a new baby in the house smack in the middle of flu season, but I'm also so nervous about going through that again.


1 comment:
I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and Isla. :)
Post a Comment