Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Thank You.

I've been trying to write this thank you note for months now, it has been a source of endless energy to get other things accomplished while I procrastinate on something that is long overdue.

Dear L&D, Antepartum, Postpartum & NICU Nurses - Berkley, Emily, Christina, Joan, Zoe, Rose, Toni, Cat, Karin, Lorna, Vanessa, Theresa, Sarah and Sarah, Stephanie, Stella, Kim and Kim, Zaman, Martha, Melissa and Melissa, Molly, Nicole, Kerry, Dede, Karen, Soosan, Bing, Sally, Boris, Rhonna, Reena, Mary, Joanne, and Diana and CCPs – Cheryl, Regina, Onie, Judy, and Rowena, and Gina (the best sonographer on the planet!),

I've been meaning to write this letter for the past 3 1/2 months, but with a newborn and an "almost 3" year old, it has been difficult to find the time to write everything I want to say.

I want to thank you for the fantastic care you gave my son and me while we were hospitalized in September and October for fetal tachycardia.

A simple "thank you" seems grossly inadequate. The three weeks I spent on L&D ER and 7 floor were some of the most frightening, stressful, tedious, and miraculous weeks of my life. Your care and kindness made it bearable and at times actually fun.

Here are just a few of the things I am grateful for:

- Everyone was both kind and genuine. It was so nice to feel like I could be myself around the nurses and CCPs.
- Your gentle encouragement to "move in." I didn't want to bring real clothes or too much stuff because I didn't want to stay, but I'm so glad you encouraged me too. I was much more comfortable.
- Your willingness to chat. Having real conversations was much better (& healthier) than hours of Keeping Up with the Kardashians! I had a hard time talking to my friends and family during my stay because Isaac's heart seemed to loom over all our conversations. You all new the latest on his heart, and were happy to talk to me about other things. It was a wonderful distraction to talk about your pets, husbands, children, grandchildren, past nursing experiences, past careers, nursing school, faith, books, celebrity gossip, TV, etc. I often find myself wondering about you and wishing you all the best.
- Everyone seemed to really love their jobs and get along! (More than one of the tele nurses told me she'd like to go into L&D after she spent her shift on the 7th.)
- The little details made a huge difference - the nicely folded towels in the shower allowed me to pretend I was at a spa for 15 (ok, 45) minutes every day, instead of a hospital.
- Taking wheelchair trips outside were fantastic and completely brightened my day.
- Getting a pile of magazines, cupcakes, and quick visits on days when I wasn't your assigned patient brightened my day!
- Spending extra time to make sure I was comfortable - in bed, with medication side effects, magnesium drips, IV flushes and new IV's. Believe it or not, I think the hospital bed was more comfortable than my bed at home, after figuring out the perfect pillow combination.
- No one seemed to mind my freezing room! Thanks for not commenting.
- Your encouragement and assistance in advocating for my son. Thank you for the journal articles about SVT and AF and AFib, researching the medications, explaining medical terms, etc. It was so empowering to talk things over with you before bringing my questions and concerns to the doctors. THANK YOU!
- I can't tell you how much I appreciated the reports about his heart rate while I slept.
- Continued education and reassurance after he was born made my husband and I confident that we could care for him, SVT or not.
- The secret menu and menu tips.
- You welcomed my daughter and husband and family. Isla still talks about the "Hillcrest Hosptial" and points it out every time we drive by the exit on the 163.
- Gina's willingness to answer my questions during the ultrasounds and the extra time spent during ultrasounds to just enjoy looking at the baby...making what were sometimes awful moments into truly special experiences.
- Your prayers and genuine concern for Isaac's recovery.

We were blessed with a team of incredible caregivers. I can only hope that every expectant parent facing a similar situation is as lucky to have such outstanding care.

Isaac James Aguilar was born on October 15th after my biophysical profile on 10-14 indicated that I didn't have any amniotic fluid. He spent a week in the NICU for observation and because of some instances of apnea and jaundice. His heart has been perfect since birth. He has not had any SVT and the cardiologists beleive he never will!

He is now a thriving 3 month old, who loves his big sister, hates tummy time and gives giant gummy grins to anyone who glances his way.

With admiration and gratitude,
Ali, Andrew, Isla & Isaac

3 comments:

kd_ring said...

This is so so so great.

Ali said...

Oh good! It is hard to tell when you write something if it gets the point across. Now I need to print it and send it!

Emi said...

What a wonderful, heartfelt, and touching tribute. I am so glad that you had so many wonderful poeple watching over both you and Issac!