Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Ike Report

Things were getting a little boring for Ike.  Last week, following our stellar allergy appointment I decided to take the plunge and introduce wheat (The 1st "Top 8" food.  The Top 8 are the most allergenic foods - Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Eggs, Soy, Dairy, Fish, Shellfish and Wheat.)
I started with multi-grain cereal that I thought had wheat, but in reality just had oatmeal, amaranth and quinoa.  Our first trials were successful, so I bought apple puffs made with wheat, rather than rice.
Following the introduction of the puffs Isaac had bloody stool, but because I believed he had been eating wheat for a few days I decided to back off on the volume and see if things improved.  I "held off" by cutting way back on the puffs.  He was having very very frequent stools and increased fussiness and was waking up crying, but no blood, until I bumped up the puffs again.  Fast forward to Friday and a very large mucousy diaper with a lot of blood.  Of course this happened at 5pm.  I spoke with the children's hospital triage and was able to convince the nurse to let us wait and go into the Saturday clinic, rather than the ER (With Ike's history, they always want us to go to the ER).  The following appointment confirmed that Ike is otherwise healthy and that red mucous was definitely blood.
I followed up with his GI and allergist.
For the time being, Ike is going to be a "Gluten Free" baby.  He has appointments at the end of September to decide where to go from here.

1 comment:

Kenner said...

Oh man! Well, I suppose at least you guys are familiar with the protocols and such by now, but that still stinks :(