Isla's imagination has exploded in the past week or two. She is now playing complex imaginative scenarios - recounting and expanding upon previous experiences, like our trips to the pumpkin patch and Christmas tree lot. She also likes to fly on the airplane, go on a train, and do all kinds of medical and cooking games. While she is playing similar themes, the detail complexity and imagination has really expanded. Her favorite game is packing up all her things and then "saying good-bye." She never really goes anywhere. After saying good-bye she unpacks, packs up again and says good-bye again.
It is really fun to watch her playing like a "big girl."
The downside is that her developing imagination is not limited to play. We've noticed increased fears to novel things encountered in her daily environment - moving toys, like those mobile hamsters, trains, pirate ships, etc. are really frightening.
Tonight she is having a hard time falling asleep. When I went in to check on her she was sobbing and pointing at the heating vent. We went on a little tour of the house and patted the heater vents in the different rooms including her room. It worked at the time, but once I put her down in her crib she was no longer convinced. It reminds me of the tiger, bathrobe and moth at the window in Bed Time for Francis.
Poor Isla!!!
I'm not really sure how to address these new fears. I don't want to completely ignore her, since it is a little more than just not wanting to sleep, but at the same time I don't want to set up some new bad habits. I just read Brazelton's section on fears. Went in and sat with her for a few minutes and talked to her a little bit about how she is having a hard time sleeping and how that is ok and happens to Mama and Daddy too. Then we talked about our plans for tomorrow and then I tucked her in again. She started crying right away when I left, but this time it was off and on, so I'm hoping she'll fall asleep this time. 11:10 PM - 3 hours & 40 minutes past bedtime.


3 comments:
Hey Ali! I was actually thinking of you guys today and almost gave you a call! My nephews all went though a similar phase when they were around Isa's age. I remember that one had a fear of costumes characters (that we found out about at Disneyland), and another one had hears of fireworks, and I think there was a fear of kites...or something else irrational like that. On a positive note, they eventually outgrew these fears, and none of my nephews came out scarred or anything. So I guess you can take comfort in that, just stay strong, keep calm, and carry on. You know you're a rock-star mom!
I remember when I was about Isla's age (can you believe I can still remember that far back) I would see shadows and think they where ghosts. When I use to wiggle me feet they would scare me because I thought that they where moving ghosts. It took me a very long time to figure out that it was me moving my feet and not really a ghost at all. I think that all children go through that in her stage of life when their little brain is absorbing so much.
Love,
Ma Ma A
Do you remember when we had to pack up the pirates because Noah was convinced they were going to live in his dresser and get him? He also thought a man lived in his window and would make bri fall asleep with him at night. Guess when that was? The month before he turned 2!!! Funny how our kids are like clockwork. If it makes you feel any better/worse it lasted 3 months. Took his brain a while to rationalize the fears. Hope it goes quickly for u!
Post a Comment