Despite all the potty talk around here, I don't think she is physically ready to start toilet training. She is starting to stay dry for longer periods of time and reports wet or soiled diapers, but she still doesn't seem very aware of the urge to go. In addition, her GI issues complicate things.Andrew & I still decided to strike while the iron is hot and introduce a potty.
I would typically toilet train on the regular toilet, but our toilet doesn't fit an adapter very well. We ended up getting her a little potty to put in the bathroom. We gave it to her a few weeks after Christmas (she had been asking for presents for a few days - Santa Withdrawal!).
Last week we started letting Isla sit on it without diapers on while I read to her and she drank some juice. She liked sitting on it, but after a few minutes stood up and began to pee. She stopped when I instructed her and sat back on the toilet and then pointed to the puddle and said, "Look! Water on the floor!" (not sure if any connections were made...)
I thought she would go right away, but she actually sat for another 20 minutes before finally peeing. We've done the same routine once since then and she successfully peed again. She likes putting it the big potty and flushing when she is all done. It is fun to see her proud of her big girl accomplishments!
The plan, for now, is to keep occasionally practicing until the summer and then really try potty training. I can't believe I'm even writing about potty training! My sweet little baby is becoming a little girl!


No comments:
Post a Comment