Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Baby A!

Here are some long promised scans of Baby Isaac's Sonograms. If you think these are cute, wait until you see the actual pictures!
We've gone to three different places for sonograms this time, so I can now review local ultrasound options.

The perinatologist at the hospital where we are going to deliver is my favorite - they give you the most pictures. In fact, whenever I said, "Awww!!!" the tech would snap the picture and print it. This tech was awesome. She was the same tech who did Isla's 2nd (or was it 3rd) nuchal scan (remember, Isla is the record holder at that hospital for the most difficult to scan baby). Well Isaac tried to beat her record, but I had a few tricks up my sleeve. I got off the table & did the Downward Dog yoga pose and Isaac finally got in the right position.

This is Isaac at his 12 week nuchal scan. He is waving at us and you can see the umbilical cord behind his hand. (Although we won't be posting it, we also got our first gender shot. :-)Here he is at the 17 week anatomy scan. This was at a perinatology unit at a different hospital. This was my least favorite. They gave us about 4 pictures. Two were 3D and terrible beyond words (see below for more on 3D ultrasounds). At Isla's anatomy scan (done at the hospital where both of their nuchal scans were done) we were laden with photos of every angle of our precious baby. This is the only cute photo from this scan. (Whine whine...)
Our OB's office is fun because they like doing 3D ultrasounds. Isla's 3D U/S were so weird I just tucked it away, but I think this one is pretty good, as far as 3D U/S go. A 3D ultrasound gives you a three dimensional image, but it works similar to a cat scan, so the images are taken as cut aways. In order to see part of the baby the sonographer has to cut away other parts of the image, blocking the view of parts of the body, placenta, uterus, etc. This can create some weird images. A baby can look like he is missing his hand if he is sticking his hand out past is face. If the baby is pressing his face forward against anything it is impossible to get a clear (and un-terrifying) image.

Given all those factors, I think Issac did really well! Here he is sleeping and resting his head on the side of the amniotic sac. Because of the cutaway factor, his ear and the side of his head is missing and his chin looks a little odd, but over all I think he looks sweet and a lot like Isla. I can't wait to snuggle him!

1 comment:

Lola said...

Can't wait to meet him in person!