Isla is fascinated with a story about how I got a black eye when I was little. (I was jumping on a friend's bed & they had an old fashioned claw foot tub with a rainbow painted on it next to the bed as a toy box. I fell off the bed, hit my head above the eye & the next day I had a black eye.)
I've told this story to Isla about 50 times now, and it NEVER gets old. She will listen to it four times in a row.
This evening, as I getting laundry out of the drier, I heard a thump and then a cry and then "THE CRY" (an awful gut wrenching screaming cry reserved for post anesthesia, post epi-pen type occasions.) I literally flew (think Miss Clavel style) into Isaac's room, where she had been playing with some books on his nightstand. She was sitting with a lamp in her lamp & shrieking. I took the light off, did a quick glance and thought she was fine and cuddled her. She kept crying & I double checked & saw that she had bruised and cut herself right under her left eye. According to Isla, she was trying to get a book out of the book shelf and when it stuck, the nightstand tipped and the lamp fell on her. It hit right on the bone below the eye and the impact caused a bruise and little slice. Luckily, it is exactly 1/4 inch long - any longer and we would have been getting sutchers.
She pretty much refused an ice pack and had a fit when I told her I needed to clean it. I finally just said that she could let me do it, or the nurse said I could bring her in and they could do it, but she might need a shot. She then told me I could give her medicine, but only the kind that goes in her mouth, not medicine on her cut. (She lost that battle too.)
I told her that she might get a black eye and she jumped up & looked in the mirror and told me it wasn't very black yet.
Clearly it doesn't bother her much. She is having a ball dancing with Elmo!


No comments:
Post a Comment