Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 15, 2011

2 Months!

Sweet clever Isaac James is 2 big months today!

Here's some nice photos we took with Andrew's camera. The lighting was bad, which adds to the less than stellar quality, but we have to document his by day! He is wearing his Christmas outfit, complete with a bow tie made by Granma Suzie that matches Isla's dress.




I feel like we are really settled into life as a family of four. Isla seems very adjusted to Isaac now and inquires after him any time he is napping or not sitting near us. She likes to have us tell him about what she is doing and is starting to talk to him more often herself. She also is more affectionate with him.

Isaac is more and more talkative - he loves to have conversations with us by cooing in response to our comments. Unfortunately he gets so excited during these chats that he has reflux and then gets upset.

He is also more and more smiley during his wakeful times and he gives us spontaneous smiles occasionally. They are so cute! I can't wait to get my camera back and capture them.

Isaac is growing and growing! His next appointment is on 12-21, and I'm looking forward to getting his stats. His eyelashes are growing longer and he has more very blond hair coming in. So far his eyes still seem very blue! He went with me to Isla's preschool's fundraiser last night and got a LOT attention - ladies were literally lining up to hold him.

Unfortunately he is still having trouble with GERD, including the freaky choking like episodes. I occasionally have to turn him over and whack on his back and today he turned purple around his mouth again. He's also been spitting up more frequently - usually 30-60 minutes after eating. He's been on a PPI for two weeks now and we haven't seen a major change. I've also cut dairy and all soy except lecithin and oil and he still has a majority of very mucousy diapers. Other than tummy time, Isaac spends 100% of time at an angle, in a swing, on a wedge, in a bouncer or in our arms (his favorite.)

Isaac spends A LOT of time sleeping. I don't remember Isla sleeping this much, but maybe it just seems like a lot in comparison to Isla's current non-stop activity. He sleeps almost too well at night! Once he slept for 6 hours and 45 minutes and was then super sleepy for the next day. Our pediatrician wants me to wake him every 4 hours at night for feeding. I'm really hoping that will change after our appointment. Today I found the rice krispies in the freezer. I think the sleepiness is taking over.When he is not sleeping he loves looking around, especially watching faces. He enjoys listening to books and looking at pictures. He especially loves looking at our Coronado poster and the tree.

Generally he is extremely content, curious and alert. He has some fussy periods that especially seem related reflux and GI issues. They are pretty challenging, but his wonderful calm demeanor during the rest of the time more than makes up for it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this little newborn phase - every minute is precious, but I'm very excited to see the older baby and little boy he becomes.

3 comments:

strivingChef said...

Isaac may be too little to benefit from this but I have recently ordered and am now cooking with an amazing book called "Dropping Acid: The Reflux Diet Cookbook and Cure" which you can find on Amazon... and I am so impressed with it.

This is a totally new theory of why people are suffering more from reflux now than ever before and it has to do with the acidification of food packaging and the pH of foods and beverages we consume. Pepsin that has been refluxed into the throat, esophagus, etc. stays wherever it lands, adhering to the soft tissues, and it is re-activated every time it comes into contact with *anything* acidic... not just from below in the stomach but from above as well.

So if for whatever reason you are eating foods with a low pH (and some of them shocked me, like apples!) then that is acidic enough to activate pepsin in the tissues and cause reflux symptoms. This may explain why he is still refluxing despite the PPIs. I really hugely recommend this book! It is making my wretched GERD so much better already and so far the recipes are so delicious.

He could not be more darling and I am crazy about the photo where he is leaning on his arm. Can't wait to see him - and all of you! - again soon!

Love, A

V.Moon said...

Geesh,Ali I didn't know all of this was going on with sweety boy! No wonder you looked so pooped the other day!You're doing a fantastic job with BOTH of your little gifts from above.Such a smart mom too. Be sure to give yourself enough YOU time too so you can keep on keepin on!

AggeJ said...

Cute pictures he looks like he is really developing his own personality
it's amazing how fast they grow and how fast time flies. I can't wait to see him on the 23rd at our family dinner. "Grandma A"