After a lot of deliberation, we still could not decide whether to tell Ali's family during our visit over Father's Day weekend.Pros -
- We would get to tell everyone in person because all of Ali's grandparents and aunts and uncles would be in town for Didi's retirement party.
- We could tell them as part of Father's Day - a fun way to share the news
- Ali wouldn't have to pretend to not be pregnant, and morning sickness was in full swing
Cons -
- We would be telling EVERYONE very early on.
- We were not sure if we were ready to make the news public.
- We didn't want anything to distract from Didi's big day.
In the end, nature made the decision for us. The Humboldt Fire was burning on our drive from the airport and when we reached Chico the smoke thick and the whole house fan was on sucking smoke into the house. After telling April (waking people up is becoming Ali's signature move), a little Internet research and major panicking by Ali we discovered that the smoke alert for the county was Purple (most dangerous conditions). At 2am Ali woke up her parents and pulled the trump card - "I'm pregnant." With the air conditioner on and the windows closed things became less smokey.
Luckily the smoke was only bad at night, so we had a wonderful visit and a fantastic celebration for Didi. It turned out that the midnight freak out woke up Aunt Chris, and by noon on Saturday almost everyone had heard the news.
In retrospect, I'm really glad the news got out. I was able to talk to my mom, Grandma Helen, Nanny Claire and my aunts about their pregnancy experiences and I didn't feel bad sleeping during the part of the party.
Another awesome moment was telling Shanni, one of best best friends from forever. Shannon and I went to Michael's and while we were there she said, "I need to get some more yarn because one of my friends is having a baby and I'm knitting a cap and scarf and booties." I said, "One of your other friends is having a baby too." Shannon screamed and hugged me right in the yarn aisle (the other shoppers left the yarn aisle). Afterwards we got Ben & Jerry's and went and looked at baby stores.


No comments:
Post a Comment