We had Isaac's surgery consult this afternoon. His surgeon, Dr. F, was recommended by our pediatrician and Andrew & I both liked him and feel confident placing Isaac in his care.
He went over Isaac's imaging from the MRI, Upper GI, Ultrasound and Lower GI. None of the imaging is absolutely conclusive for the life threatening type of malrotation (although, he along with every other specialist we've seen was delighted to see who did the initial imaging. Apparently we hit the jack pot with the best radiologist in the hospital!).
Because Isaac's imaging in indicative of the type of malrotation that can be life threatening, and because there is no way to predict when volvulus can occur, and because volvulus can be life threatening in a matter of hours from onset, Dr. F wants to do an exploratory laparotomy (Don't google this unless you are ok with graphic images.) If life threatening malrotation is found, he will then do a Ladd's procedure to correct and properly secure the bowel. If the abnormalities are benign Isaac's surgery will end with the laparotomy.
Dr. F wants to do the surgery in the next two weeks, pending insurance and scheduling. Depending on the degree of surgery and Isaac's speed of recovery, hospitalization is anywhere from a few days to two weeks.
On a VERY positive note, Dr. F feels like some or all of the GI issues could be explained by this. I hope so!
Want to learn more?
Here's a link that Dr. F confirmed was an excellent source for medical information.
Medscape - Intestinal Malrotation


6 comments:
You poor girl I don't know how you cope but I will keep you in my prayers.
Love MaMa A
Oh man, I was hoping we'd take the surgery bullet for the both of us! I'm glad you guys like the surgeon and it sounds like you feel pretty good about the decision. Please let me know if there's something I can do to help you guys out!
Hmm, and the new comment system doesn't seem to want to let me subscribe to replies, so . . . if there IS something I can do, let me know by some method other than in the comments here ;)
Keeping Ike and your family in my thoughts!
Ali & Andrew;
I truly believe that Isaac will come through his surgery with flying colors!!! I had an incredibly skilled surgeon for my abdominal surgery, and it sounds like Isaac is in similarly skilled hands. Here's hoping for a short hospital stay and recovery time. You guys are taking such great care of your little ones, and it's wonderful that you're looking on the positive side, even when things are quite daunting--it's the only way to go, I feel. I'll be keeping you all close in my thoughts.
Love, Aunt Chris
Thinking of you guys. I know everything will work out awesome, but I hate that you guys have to go through this. Please send Isla over during any of this. I'd love to babysit!
Post a Comment