Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, March 3, 2012

"Sometimes Love Don't Feel Like It Should"

Ok, I actually hate that song, but with Isaac screaming in my ear while I try to feed him his formula, it has been stuck in my head.

Sorry for the mundane details - in addition to being a baby book / way to communicate with friends and family, this blog is a journal of what we've been doing, so I can refer back as needed.

For all you breastfeeding Mamas, especially those that have / had GERDlings, do you remember the early days - both of you frustrated, breast milk everywhere, the lack of coordination, the nurse coming in for the millionth time to adjust the latch or your hold? Then, and you barely notice the transition, you are nursing one handed while putting on your toddler's shoes, in public if needed, while easily juggling a burp cloth, nursing cover, nipple shield, and nursing bra.

Lets just say we haven't made that transition yet...but things are improving.
The past few days have been a struggle. At first Isaac absolutely refused the formula. He would take it and then just let it dribble out of his mouth. I tried using his medicine dropper and that was a no go too. I eventually gave him a bottle of just breastmilk to see if the bottle was an issue and he had no problem with that, so one variable was eliminated.

Foolishly during this time I also ate a bunch of banana cream pie, thinking my nursing days were over, or on hold at the best. We found that Isaac would take the formula if mixed with breastmilk, but that involved a day of torture for Isaac when he had to drink formula mixed with dairy tainted milk. After the milk left my system Isaac seemed to do much better, but feedings were still a crying mess taking a minimum of 40 minutes per 4 oz bottle. I had to pump too, so that added time to everything. Pretty much all I've done for the past few days is feed him, pump, wash and prepare bottles and deal with a sad little Isla, who is not getting her usual dose of attention and who has to deal with an exasperated mom.

On Thursday night the GI doctor decided he wasn't taking enough and asked us to switch to another amino acid based formula that added calories and fat, but does not replace my milk. DuoCal would be added to my milk, instead of being prepared and combined with it. The problem with that is that I get a lot less milk from pumping than I do from nursing and I wasn't sure if I'd have enough. In addition, we are trying to cut back on (or stop) my milk to resolve some of his allergies that are still giving him issues.

On Friday he started finishing his bottles of 50% EleCare & 50% breastmilk and took 20 oz. I also nursed him a few times before naps & bedtime because I figure if he's getting some breastmilk in the bottle, nursing can't hurt. Last night I slept from 12pm to 10am! The longest I've slept since he was born. Thank you Andrew!

Today he turned a corner and is taking the bottles in 12-20 minutes. We haven't tried moving past the 50-50 ratio, but hopefully he is now getting enough. He's already had 16 oz. today! We haven't started the DuoCal, because hopefully the Elecare is now working.

So why this crazy over priced formula?
- It is nutritionally complete. It has everything he needs, so the doctors know he is getting the right vitamins, calories, etc.
- It is amino acid based (aka - Elemental) Isaac is not currently able to digest (at least some) food proteins. Most babies are not bothered by the small amount of food proteins that pass through breast milk, but Isaac is. The GI doc does not know for sure what is going on with him, but it may be Food Protein Induced Enterocolitis (FPIES). (This basically what Isla had - Allergic Colitis, but a little more intense.) The nutrients in EleCare & DuoCal are broken down into amino acids so there are no actual food proteins. These formulas are considered "medical food" and are used for babies with feeding tubes too. I am also trying to cut back on common problematic food proteins. Right now I'm not eating soy, dairy, nuts, shellfish, eggs and beef. Beef is the real tragedy in my opinion!

An early attempt at taking Elecare. He didn't cry yet, but didn't actually drink it either.
Here's part of operation bottle feed. I can't imagine voluntarily bottle feeding. What a hassle.
Here's the formula. It came in a cutsie box with a little book about "Jack's Magic Beans" to help him grow.
Here's Isaac in some pictures taken yesterday. He is by no means a chunky baby, but he doesn't look under weight to me. His poochy tummy is a little misleading because he hasn't poo'd for 3 days! Despite currently meeting the criteria for failure to thrive (weight is 20% below idea weight for height), he looks ok to me. I feel bad that I can't really tell. Hopefully in a few weeks these rolls and cheeks will be double in size!
Here's Isaac's tough guy face.
"Don't even think about giving me more of that disgusting excuse for food, Mama!"
Sorry Kiddo! Sometimes love don't feel like it should.

No comments: