Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Remember this post...

(Click on post title to see what I'm referring to...)
Well today Isaac got on the super cool milk free bandwagon.

Here's the short version...
Isaac has had continued issues with reflux. The latest development is a soundless chokey gagging behavior. It is really really scary because it seems like he can't breathe when it is happening. We are now keeping him upright - in a swing, car seat or bouncer 24-7. He is also switching to prevacid - the same protein pump inhibitor that Isla takes, as it is much more aggressive at treating reflux.

During the appointment we discussed related things, like his constant congestion, never ending diaper rash and mucousy green poos. These things, plus having a sister with a milk allergy, all add up to... a milk allergy!
The pedi didn't test Isaac's stool for blood, but since there has been no visible blood, we know the allergic colitis isn't as bad as Isla's was. I'm just going to cut dairy for now and see if things improve without cutting soy.
(I kind of knew this was coming, but I've been hoping to avoid it until after December 25th.)
Isla's reflux really improved after I eliminated dairy and soy, so hopefully Isaac's will too!

Of course it had to happen right after I bought this 1/2 gallon of whipping cream at costco - not to mention the two gallons of milk also in the fridge. This was going to be our first thanksgiving with no dietary restrictions since 2007 - (well, no restrictions other than nuts.). I'm not happy and I am going to just have one day of dairy filled dining before going cold turkey after turkey day.

1 comment:

Kenner said...

Oh man, Ali, I'm so sorry about this! I know it's your baby and you'd do it in a heartbeat, but I was FURIOUS when I got gestational diabetes right before the holidays! And I was happy to change my diet to help Nathan, but that didn't change how angry I was to not get to eat my favorite treats! :( I hope it stops all his choking episodes and stuff, though (those are probably scary enough that no milk might be worth it!) and hopefully dairy will be enough this time! Good luck!