Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, November 7, 2011

FYI

Did you ever wonder how they evacuate a hospital?
I never did.
What about evacuating a NICU?
Again, something that never crossed my mind, until one day while spending hours cuddling Isaac in the NICU and chatting with his RN, it came up.

I thought it was so interesting that I'm going to share...
The critical babies on full ventilation are just wheeled out in their giraffes...if I remember correctly, each is equipped with a mini generator.
The rest of the babies in the NICU are carried out by hand.

The NICU is stocked with special baby toting vests. Each of these vests has slots and each slot has a special board with straps. Babies are strapped from head to toe flat on the board (think one of those boards they use in ambulances) and then slid into the slot (think papoose).
Each vest has SIX slots! Three on each side - none in the back so a baby toter can duck and cover.

Anyone in the NICU can be nabbed for baby toting duty, so if you are ever in a NICU during an earthquake be prepared to tote some babies.

3 comments:

Lola said...

That is fascinating and oddly cute-sounding! I feel weird even saying that about babies in an emergency situation, but...a vest full of babies! Squeee! I am so glad they have a plan in place.

Kenner said...

Hahaha, I agree with Lola, the idea of a vest of babies is really funny and cute ;) I would never in a million years have guessed that would be their evacuation plan!

Ali said...

I agree with you both! The RN describing it made it sound pretty cute too.