Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, November 4, 2011

Snuffleupagus

Here's Issac doing (sleeping through) some tummy time while I do laundry (take pictures).
He's so delicious!





I think we have another GERD-ling on our hands. Our pedi started Isaac on reflux meds (Zantac) on Monday (& it was a big mistake to let the pharmacy add cherry red flavoring to an already incredibly minty medication. Isaac just pushed it right out of his mouth all over everything. I called up the pharmacy and immediately got some flavor/dye free Zantac.)

Isaac's "reflux" (I'm not totally convinced it really is GERD) is very different from Isla's non-stop projectile spit-ups that led to her diagnosis. Like Isla did, Isaac has hiccups about 10 times a day, but what baby doesn't have hiccups?

Isaac is Mr. Snuffles! I know infants have "newborn congestion," but Isaac takes it to new levels. Every time he eats he gets extra snuffly and often times milk comes out of his nose.

In addition to having an extremely snorfily nose and clearing his throat a lot, Isaac's reflux consists of him making a little gag noise and then either "chewing his cud," or having a tiny bit of milk dribble out of his mouth and/or nose, or violently coughing and gasping for air and occasionally having the skin around his mouth go purple. This happens during and after feedings. He also does the classic reflux screaming and crying and back arching when lying on his back, but it isn't 100% of the time. Sometimes it seems more related to gas than reflux, but it is hard to tell because he is a "Silent Spitter." Because we keep him inclined during the day in a swing or bouncer or our arms, the extreme fussiness (and comfort nursing) is at night and during diaper changes. It is exhausting!

I hate giving a two week old medication and I'm still not 100% convinced it is GERD, but the purple lips and choking like incidents make us willing to try anything.

2 comments:

Kenner said...

AH, the turning purple thing! That is so scary :( I hope he stops doing that quickly! (Hahaha, and that Zantac is SO minty! I wonder why they don't make it totally bland for babies? Or just like sugar? Nathan LOVES the Prilosec, but I had to mix the Zantac in milk to get him to take it).

Isaac is TOO CUTE!

AggeJ said...

It sounds like Isaac is a little like his daddy was at that age. I can remember Andrew always had hiccups and it really did interfere a lot with his feeding and digestion. Of course back in those days they didn't have things for Gerd they just said everything was caused from gas. We were always giving him medicine for gas relief that's all we had back then. Hang in there Mom things will slow down soon.