Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Update!

Isaac is doing super duper!!!
On Sunday he was moved out of the warming bed. Last night his IV was taken out and today he was moved to the lower supervision level of NICU. The plan is for him to go home tomorrow!

We had a day filled with parent education and tonight he has his car seat test to make sure he can breathe in the car seat. He hasn't had any of the turning blue/choking/passing out/"de-sat" episodes (I'm not sure what they are technically called) since Saturday. As you can tell from these pictures, he is still jaundiced, but it will hopefully have peaked today. His heart has been completely fine and we have every reason to believe that it is completely healed.

Isaac is doing a great job nursing and we've had a lot of help from the lactation consultants and NICU nurses. (I can also attest that the hospital grade pumps really are vastly superior - and silent!). It is tricky doing normal parenting things with a bunch of leads on him, but we've learned some great strategies for changing diapers, nursing, swaddling and cuddling with an IV and 4 leads. There is also a crazy buzz to the NICU that stays in your head after you leave. Every beep and light that I see outside the NICU makes me turn my head to where the monitor would be to check Isaac's vitals. It will be an adjustment not knowing how every cry, hiccup, spit up, and twitch affects his heart rate, respiratory rate and oxygen saturation.

The NICU nurses and doctors have been fantastic, but we can't wait to be home with our little guy and away from monitors, alarms, constant vital checks and the hospital in general.

Holding him for the first time outside of the OR.
Isaac's first bed.
Out of the warming bed! Isaac's new digs!

Visiting with Mama
Isaac gets a cool name tag from the staff.
Our first visit from home.
Cuddling with Daddy!
Isaac's newest digs in the area for babies being discharged soon!
Sleepy boy.
Mellow Yellow!
So cuddly!
Good Night!

3 comments:

strivingChef said...

Isaac is such an incredibly handsome baby!

Kenner said...

He is one of the best looking little babies I've ever seen! He's so adorable, and I'm so happy to hear that you guys are all doing well! I adore the updates, so I hope you'll have a chance to keep them up occasionally once you're home! ;) Congrats again guys!

Marisela said...

Thanks for the update! I'm SO glad to hear that Isaac is doing awesome! Can't wait to meet him! :)