Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Awesome Start

At our last allergy appointment I got the green light to trial treenuts at home.
I was nervous but excited to further ease up on our nut free existence.
Then Isla had her little surgery, then we found out that she still reacts to avocado,* then we went away for a month to help my sister get married, then she got stung by a bee and her allergist is not thrilled with her first reaction,** then she started getting raw skin from latex bandaids and the allergist said no more latex,*** then we did potty training, and then we had her GI appointment.****

All of those things were my excuses for not doing tree nuts, but in reality I was just scared. In the day time I think I've got the allergy thing down, but at night time I'm still occasionally having some pretty fantastic nightmares. The last involved me giving her almonds at a fancy restaurant & she immediately passed out. I was carrying her around while snazzily dressed diners looked worried but immobile and eventually laid her down and tried to give her the epi, but ended up missing and stabbing myself in the (very pregnant) stomach instead. I pulled out the pen and gave it to her (luckily something you can do in the dream world) but then amniotic fluid started squirting out of the puncture wound in my stomach. I think at that point I told myself to wake up.
(Psychoanalysts, have a field day with that!)

Well, potty training, while still stressful, and not 100% accident free, is going well, so I decided to bite the bullet and give her almonds today. (Notice I am conquering my fears and giving her the nut from my nightmare!) She had absolutely zero reaction! Yey! That bodes well for all other tree nuts. We'll be trying more nuts soon.

* Isla still gets a contact reaction and diaper rash from avocado, but it is unlikely that it will ever get worse and hopefully with avoidance she will outgrow it.
** Isla stepped on a bee and despite giving her benadryl & soaking, her foot swelled. Because it was her 1st exposure the allergist feels like it should have been a much smaller reaction.
*** Latex bandaids have been causing a red raw rash where the bandaid was which scabs up after-wards. Latex and avocado are related, so this is common. Apparently repeated exposure can make it worse, so we are supposed to minimize all latex exposure. Luckily it is unlikely that it will ever progress to anaphylaxis, since latex is so easy to avoid now and her reaction is only topical.
**** The appointment was great! Isla's diarrhea is mostly resolved so unless it comes back she won't need another endoscopy. We are going to try to wean her off her GERD medication over the next 6 weeks. This is her last daily medication other than vitamins and I can't wait to be done!

No comments: