Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Potty Party

This picture is two months old, but here's what we are doing...
We are giving potty training a shot right now. I tried it in early May, but it was clear that Isla wasn't quite ready physically. She had some great successes, but seemed oblivious when she had accidents until she was completely wet & uncomfortable.

Today we got off to a rough start b/c I forgot I had an hour long phone meeting (that ended up being an hour and a half), so I couldn't pay quite as close attention.

Isla has had some accidents and some successes and some accidents that turned into successes when I yelled "stop" and we ran to the potty to finish. It is hard at this point to tell if things are going to work out, but at least for now it seems like a really positive experience for her.

Today we are just spending time in the kitchen (only place without carpeting, not that the carpet could get much grosser). Isla is commando and we are spending a lot of time sitting on the potty and a lot of time playing near the potty. We have all her favorite drinks and fruit and Popsicles. When she has a success her potty sings to her and she gets some M&M's & a sticker for her potty chart. So far the longest she has gone without pee-pee'n or having an accident is 1 hour & 58 minutes.

I'm really not sure if she is physically ready (she has every other readiness sign in the book - interest, desire, following directions, dressing skills, awareness of a soiled diaper, etc. etc. etc.) but she may not have the physical ability yet. I'm not too worried. I think we will give it at least one more day and if things aren't successful we'll wait a few more months and try again.

No comments: