Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, July 15, 2011

Ka-Chow!


Potty training has had its ups & downs. Yesterday my friend Marisela reminded me that Social Stories are always a good approach for addressing challenges. Then today, Isla's Aunt Margo reminded me of the social story I wrote for her son when he was potty training last year. I remember talking to Margo for over an hour to get her & her son ready for toilet training. I wish I'd taped myself.
I have so much advice & resources for other parents, but when it comes to my own child the fog of anxiety clouds my ability to make clear decisions or use the resources I already have.

Well I'm going to take Marisela and my own advice & try a social story with Isla tomorrow. It is based on her all time favorite character - Lightning McQueen. The story is a total rip off of the Thomas the Tank Engine story I wrote for Diego last year, but if its not Baroque don't fix it. (Disney trivia, anyone?) If it goes well I'll also be writing "The Princess & the Pee" to capitalize on Isla's love for princesses.

My name is Isla and I love Lightning McQueen!
Lightning McQueen needs lots of energy to drive on race tracks, so he eats oil and drinks gasoline. I need lots of energy to run around and play so I eat food and drink milk and juice and water.
When Lightning McQueen’s tank get too full he needs to stop racing and go to the pit stop to unload his tank. When Lightening McQueen unloads his tank it keeps him from leaking on the race track.
When I feel like I have to go peepee or poopoo and need to stop what I’m doing and go use the potty. When I am using the potty I am unloading my tank, just like Lightning McQueen!
I will try to pay attention to my tank when I am playing. If my tank feels full I will tell Mama or Daddy, “I have to go potty.” Then I will hurry to my potty and unload my tank. After I unload my tank I will get a special treat and then I can go back to playing. When I unload my tank I won’t leak and I won't have to take a break from playing to clean up.
Every time I remember to unload my tank in the potty I get a special treat! Mama and Daddy are so proud that I am learning to go peepee on the potty. It is so cool to learn to unload my tank just like Lightning McQueen! Ka-Chow!!!!

No comments: