Warning - This is a detailed potty training post for the benefit of friends who are going to be doing the same thing.
Isla loved the story & related well to it.
I wrote it after a tough Day 3.
She seemed to be witholding on Thursday & went only a few times. In the AM we made a successful Target run & got juice boxes and pull ups. That evening we went out and didn't have her potty. She tried to go on a big toilet 3 times, but was too nervous. After her last try she had an accident & was upset. (Putting a pull up over underwear has been a great solution for minimizing mess while letting her feel the accident.) After we got home she went poopoo in her potty and was SO proud!
Day 3 Stats:
Total Peepees - 3
Complete Accidents - 1
Stopped Accidents - 1 (while out)
Peepees while Sitting - 0
Independent Peepees (Isla initiates while away from the potty) - 1
Poopoos - 1
Shortest latency: 2 hours, 10 minutes!
Longest Latency: 3 hour, 20 minutes!
Day 4 was discouraging. I thought Isla might have been a little resistant yesterday so I lightened up on the reminders, but I overdid it. It turns out she wasn't ready to be in underwear full time and also needed many reminders, especially after waking in the morning and after her nap. I pushed the drinks and fruit today to give her more opportunities. Her big success was during a walk. I told her that when she went peepee we could go to the park. She ran to the potty, went & said, "Ok Mom! We can go to the park now!" On our way home (through the canyon) she said she had to go & I helped her out of her pants and she "peed in the woods!" Something she has wanted to do since our camping trip. Later that evening she had two accidents and seemed oblivious. I was feeling discouraged and I think she could tell. I felt bad and stayed up way to late writing and finding pictures for her social story.
Day 4 Stats:
Total Peepees - 9
Complete Accidents - 3
Stopped Accidents - 1
Peepees while Sitting - 0
Independent Peepees (Isla initiates while away from the potty) - 5
Poopoos - 0
Shortest latency to pee: 30 minutes
Longest latency: 1 hour, 29 minutes
Day 5 -
Isla had a great start with an initial success. She really liked the story and we read it three times.
We had a tricky day because we spent the day in LA (yep, Carmageddon! It wasn't bad at all!) for Auntie Margo's baby shower.
We left late because we wanted Isla to have a success before leaving & despite two false alarm stops (we brought her potty). Isla asked to go a lot when we were there, but only went once, but overall it was a great day. No accidents, despite being in underwear with a pull up over most of the day, having lots to drink and being less supervised. We left late and I told her it was naptime in the car and changed her into a pull up for the drive home & she slept on the way home (her sleep has been a little disrupted lately - lots of delaying at bedtime and some tears, but I think that makes sense with everything going on right now.) She continues to be motivated by the stickers and candy, but is also REALLY proud of herself, which we love!
Day 5 Stats:
Total Peepees - 3
Complete Accidents - 0
Stopped Accidents - 0
Peepees while Sitting - 0
Independent Peepees (Isla initiates while away from the potty) - 3
Poopoos - 0
Shortest latency to pee: 31 minutes
Longest latency: 2 hours, 45 minutes
Once we use up her pull ups I am switching to night diapers again and just using pull ups for outings. (That seems like a logical time to make the switch, since she really likes the pull ups.) I want her to understand that right now it is ok to pee in diapers at night but not pull ups. We'll re-intro pull ups at night when getting ready for overnight potty training.


2 comments:
Thanks for the detailed update, I truly appreciate it!!! (I was accidentally was signed on as David and tried to leave a comment) =)
Post a Comment