Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Power Outage 2011

The big news on Friday was the power outage across Southern CA. (The rest of the US seemed to barely notice, which seemed to irritate the radio announcer on Clear Channel providing complete uninterrupted coverage.)

The experience was a great opportunity to practice our emergency plan & I'm happy to say that other than needing a few more flashlights, all went well.

I had not idea the power went out, despite the AC, Isla's monitor and the internet going out pretty much simultaneously. I had the AC set really low - 73, I think, so the house was nice and cool for the rest of the day. When the internet went out I decided to read and fell asleep on the couch. I woke up when Andrew arrived home early. At the same time Michael texted me to check in on us.

Once Isla woke up Isla and I made "Power Outage Play Pasta" - we died a bunch of pasta with food coloring and vinegar and set it out to dry. Here's the finished product - a whole gallon bag! - ready for mosaics, necklaces, and any other art project we come up with.We explained the outage to Isla but she didn't really get it until evening. We lit a lot of candles and made "Power Outage Pasta" on the BBQ burner. Since we didn't want to open our fridge or freezer, and we were out of pasta sauce, I made spaghetti sauce and pasta and we had canned pineapples. Isla got to have a juice box instead of milk. We also used our back up water b/c of some issues with the water quality.

Isla got to stay up a little late and we enjoyed the moon and stars. Then we read to Isla with a flashlight and she skipped her bath & went to bed. She has been really insistent on keeping her light on lately and during a past power outage she had a really hard time sleeping, so I wasn't looking forward to the night, but we explained that she was going to go camping in her bedroom and opened the curtains to let some light in. She did a great job and fell asleep without any issues.

That is the true tale of our power outage drama...

1 comment:

Emi said...

Sounds like an adventure!